Thursday, June 14, 2012

Paulo Freire on being a man of the world

This resonated (despite not personally being in exile):

The next thing I should say is that it was always possible for me in exile to know I was a Brazilian from Recife.  It was possible for me to become more and more international, a world being, multicultural, that is, I could become a kind of vagabond walking in the world and experiencing myself in different moments, different cultures and different processes.  But in all this I was strongly a man from Recife, my roots.  

My Brazillianness explains my Latin Americanness and my Latin Americanness makes me a man of the world.  I could do that in exile.  And now when it is possible for me to come back I think I come back more humble than when I left.  Because I learned a lot from the world, I discovered many many things that even in Brazil I could not see.  

Interview with Paulo Freire by Peadar Kirby, 1982

2 comments:

Dan and Lynn said...

Han-
I can see why it resonated with you!!!
Love,
Mother

Steve Garber said...

And your Chugwaterness explains.... Yes, I think it does, Hannah. You have been able to be a woman of the world because you are so from Wyoming.