Friday, June 29, 2012

South Luangwa

Tom's coordinator unknowingly booked his job here for 92 days, when 90 days is the limit allowed on our permit.  Lemons to lemonade, I advocated we leave for a few days to Zambia.  I'd heard there was an excellent game park there.  One with lions and leopards.

Two 10-hour travel days excepted, we had a wonderful time.  The highlight, besides seeing some 24 species of animals and 26 species of birds, was Manda.  The other group at our camp, two-families worth of in-laws from Zambia and Australia meeting for the first time, hired a private guide.  Normally we would have shared the resident guide with them, but instead we had him to ourself.  He is something of a legend, having guided for 16 years, decorated by some magazine as the best guide in Africa in 2006, etc.  It was like having our own private Mrs. Watson (my secondary science teacher, for those of you who don't know) and Mr. Microbiology and I ate it up.

Hello, gorgeous

But now it's nose to the grindstone as I get ready for my three-day leadership workshop starting Monday.  I had the first of many short courses with nurse matrons from Tom's hospital three days ago, administering a personality assessment and working through its applications related to direct reports and patients.  The only snag was the personality assessments still haven't arrived in the mail.

No comments: