Saturday, August 19, 2006

Leaving France

The time has come to leave this place which captures the imagination. Having now spent just enough time to grow fond of it, I can see how paintings portray it better than photographs. I wish some brilliant tortured artist would capture southeast Wyoming the way Van Gogh did here.

Van Gogh's De Oogst

Van Gogh's Starry Night Over the Rhone

Van Gogh's The Olive Trees

The rail pass thing was a big hoorah, and involved many more people than were probably interested to be involved, including Laurent, my parents, the French police to whom I reported it missing in hopes of activating its insurance policy (which, by the way, was a very good experience with a foreign bureaucracy), as well as two new players.

I'm departing today for Geneva, Switzerland, to spend a few days with a new friend from my weeks here in France, Esther. Later this week, I'll head up to Belgium to collect the errant pass. After considerable song and dance, and more gracious hospitality, I'll collect the pass and visit the sister of friend Sarah (see Road trip home, July 4) who lives in Belgium with her husband working for NATO and has an APO address. I feel like God has dealt generously with me.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Skannah,

Glad to know that you located the rail pass. I'm sure I would like to hear more of that story the next time I see you. Sarah and I have made it to Beit Jala (we are on the street that divides Bethlehem from Beit Jala, but people from here think I am being ignorant if I say I live in Bethlehem, so I'm trying to kick the habit).
Anyway, it turns out that there is an empty bedroom next to the room that Sarah and I are staying in. I've only been here for two days, so I'm not comfortable asking if I can have visitors come stay with me, but I'll let you know when I get up the Chutzpah. I hope to see you in December, let me know if you are still thinking about coming.

Jason