Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Rocha and Provence

I'm coming to the end of three weeks with A Rocha, then on my way. Until about 30 minutes ago, that "on my way" was tenuous. My rail pass has been lost for the past three weeks somewhere between Wyoming and Laurent's house. Thankfully it just surfaced in Wheatland according to my mother's latest email.

Here are illustrations of what I've been doing. My capacity is volunteer; a learner and manual laborer (probably not in that order). I've helped clean up the gardens, scrape paint, haul away branches of trees inhospitable to birds, husk wildflower seeds for a seed bank, cook, and propose a talent show which will take place tomorrow night (I'm doing my superspeed toothbrushing trick, hopefully you've had a chance to see it).

In the between times, there have been ample opportunities to see the area which is rich in history. Arles had dealings with Julius Cesar and Vincent Van Gogh as well as many in between. It's also a unique geographic area of the Camargue wetland and the Alpilles hills. So lots to explore between coliseums and back roads.

Then I went couchsurfing this past weekend in Marseille and ended up having a rare weekend. One of my host's best friends is marrying the principal female dancer from Riverdance and we went to her birthday in Aix-en-Provence. It all seems like a bit much actually.

A Roller, not pleased

Unstucking the car

Sorting Roller poo

Camargue flamango

Camargue ponies

The mature volunteers at dinner

Spices at the Satuday market

The coast of Marseille

The birthday girl

Sushi at the birthday party

Les Baux-de-Provence (a bike ride day)

No comments: