Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Visit to Laurent -or- It's hard to go back to Paris once you've been to the farm

Laurent, yours truly, Christelle

Chugwater Chili Cookoff bumper sticker

Mont St-Michel

Tourists

Masoleum for WWII German soldiers

So subtle + brother Romain


I am now in the south of France near Provence. Last week, I had the chance to see Laurent Chaix's Brittany.

Laurent came to Chugwater as an exchange student for the 1995-1996 school year. I didn't realize the extent of it until this visit, but he fell in love with Wyoming that year. A born and bred Parisian, it changed the path of his life. I'm making this sound so dramatic.

But he's been back ten times in the past decade, got a degree in agronomics, wears Wranglers (not that everybody from Chugwater does that necessarily), his best friend is from the CHS class of 1998, his girlfriend rides in western-style competitions, and he's moved to more pastoral Brittany never to reside in the City of Lights.

So by night we amused ourselves pouring over the 1996 and 1998 yearbooks, his lovely girlfriend Christelle humoring us, but by day our trio and one day his brother toured all over Brittany. He really loves it there, spending his energies keeping up the rural family home on the weekends and working for a business school in Rennes during the year.

We went to the south to see seaside villages of his youth, to the north to visit Mont St. Michel - a thousand year's worth of town and cathedral built on a rock in the middle of a bay, to a charming castle to the west, dinner with Christelle's parents; bike rides, supper on by 9:30 or 10:00 pm, crepes and cider drinking (it's couth to drink cider any time with any food, I love it). Not to be missed.

No comments: