Because I have very little musical taste of my own, I usually buy albums based on friends' recommendations, Katie of late (so you know her bias, she's referred to David Gray as her "baby daddy" on multiple occasions). I am weaning myself off Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha and The National's Boxer (both Abby, actually) to try something new. Jose Gonzales, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, and Jeff Buckley are auditioning for my latest obsessmuch? album. Looks like I may have to give The Skyliners a try, too.
Thursday, February 7, 2008
How to win fair lady, #53
My mother turns 53 tomorrow and I've just helped Dad make her a mix of love songs on iTunes, of which he is very proud. He had songs on his list that they don't even carry. Anyone ever heard of "True Love" by Don Williams? This was our final output:
Because I have very little musical taste of my own, I usually buy albums based on friends' recommendations, Katie of late (so you know her bias, she's referred to David Gray as her "baby daddy" on multiple occasions). I am weaning myself off Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha and The National's Boxer (both Abby, actually) to try something new. Jose Gonzales, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, and Jeff Buckley are auditioning for my latest obsessmuch? album. Looks like I may have to give The Skyliners a try, too.
Because I have very little musical taste of my own, I usually buy albums based on friends' recommendations, Katie of late (so you know her bias, she's referred to David Gray as her "baby daddy" on multiple occasions). I am weaning myself off Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha and The National's Boxer (both Abby, actually) to try something new. Jose Gonzales, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, and Jeff Buckley are auditioning for my latest obsessmuch? album. Looks like I may have to give The Skyliners a try, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ah, the Once album. A favorite of mine as well. My favorite song on the album (which I don't have with me, so I'm guessing) is Gold. A great tune.
My continued, lifelong obsession is with Paul Simon. I celebrate the guy's entire catalog.
Amanda has always been music mentor to me. She had "Joshua Tree" in her Walkman a decade before I knew who Bono was.
I must pass along some thanks for my musicology to my dad and Aunt Susan. I must admit, I'm starting to wane a bit in my ability to keep up with new music, although I am helped by 97.3 KBCO out of Boulder.
I will now have to check out Jeff Buckley, as I've heard his name on several lips.
I love Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. mmm good!
These are great, and I must say that after I first read this, the Dolly Parton song was in my head for the rest of the day. Such a great songwriter and singer in such a strange package...
If you want to experience good, raw, grassroots music, then--if you're still in North America July 10-13--you must come with me to the Winnipeg Folk Festival. It's not an option. http://www.winnipegfolkfestival.ca/wp/
That's where I discovered Michael Feranti and The Duhks and Crooked Still.
I think I just got thrown under the bus. But yes, I have a serious thing for David. It's called true love.
In other news, check out:
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Over the Rhine, Kate Walsh, and Alexi Murdoch.
I totally agree with your obsessmuch selections, by the way!
Post a Comment