Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Much Adored Laura Roebuck

The past weekend my kindred friend, Laura, flew up from sunny Orange County for a little wind and snow. She brightened our lives, one of her specialties.

We did the 300 mile trip to Sidney, NE, where the boys lost by 10 points, fed with Dad and were thankful when he fixed the (literally) frozen emergency break so the pickup would go forward, visited Karen at the Town Hall, ate jerky and hung out with Mick, Char, and Trav into the wee hours, and talked like crazy.

It was sweet respite from the decisions and disappointments of everyday, the most recent being a "no" on my most promising lead, a job in Khartoum, Sudan. Having friends like Laura and her husband, Jacob, makes me question my persistence to be gone for years at a time. Our working solution is to have houses in Wyoming and New Mexico in the end, summer and winter, respectively. Maybe just one really big house in each state.

Two peas in an aqua-and-cherry-red pod

Guest feeder

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

H -
I love your idea of living in WY and one other place. Count Jeremy and I in. Sorry to hear about Sudan. We should talk soon about purpose in the mid 20's. Got your "thank you". Always good to hear from you. Love, T.

gpt said...

Look...I did it. I finally took the time to get "registered" so I can comment on your blog. Thank you for helping me out, I really appreciated it.
I'm sorry to hear about Sudan as well. By your blog I could tell it was a real disappointment. Remember that Moses had been hearding sheep for 40 years (in the desert no less) before he got his job discription. God often uses people who are faithful in the mundane to accomplish great jobs for Him. I know it's easy to say and not so easy to do, but be patient. All of your schooling and traveling will all show a purpose in God's timing. I'm praying for you.
Love, gpt (its your Aunt Greta if you can't figure it out :))

Anonymous said...

You know, Greeley is another place, and Mark could get you a job pretty quick! ;) (I'm assured that that means I'm winking, so that you know that I'm not serious about you working in the jail, but I am serious about my care for your continued job hunt.)