Saturday, May 10, 2008

The fine craft of wallpaper

Last Sunday, Grandma Pat and Bankaw returned to the farm from Arizona. The house is a mess of remodeled bathroom, burst sewer line, and broken water heater. They are also repainting and wallpapering their bedroom.

Having done a two-Sunday Continuing Adult Education course on interior design and decorating in Melbourne, I tried to talk Gr. Pat out of wallpaper. It’s quickly dated, more difficult to resell, terrible to remove, I said. If you want wallpaper, mount it on a huge sheet of metal and prop it against the wall. But she said I’m 75 and I like it and I don’t plan on moving anytime soon. Besides, it’s country.

Wallpaper it is.

I spent last night and today learning with none other than sunflowers, butterflies, and dragonflies. We covered 40-yr-old olive paint hidden by former generations of wallpaper.

Apparently Bankaw’s parents, Great Grandma Hazel and Grandpa Charley, even papered their ceilings, with Charley in the lead. It’s my goodly heritage.

kee-hee-hee, here's a sweet picture of my young parents
taken from a nearby wood-paneled wall

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I think that wallpaper looks nice, although I'd agree with your wallpaper comments. It is gaining popularity as an accent wall covering.