We went to a Tenebrae service at a Catholic church in Flint on Good Friday. We sang a song, "Sing, My Tongue, the Song of Triumph," which I had not heard before. The fine print reveals it was written sometime in the sixth century. This phrase caught my attention:
From that holy body broken Blood and water forth proceed:
Earth and stars and sky and ocean By that flood from stain are freed.
Ah, the terra, in the original Latin, too, is freed.
We've kept quite a clip since our courtship began a year ago, him in particular. The upshot is Tom's exhausted. He's taken every working opportunity he could get since a six-month drought last year (now viewed providentially as the six months we needed to fall in love). His diligence was particularly with the intent of leaving the country sometime in the spring to work abroad, either me with MSF or him as it turns out we are doing, with Physicians for Peace.
Indeed, in five days we go to Malawi, Africa for three months where he will teach basic surgeries to medical students, as a volunteer. I myself have high hopes of less free time because somebody needs help with something I know how to do - and we will be in one place for three months in a row!
2 comments:
Thank you for this message of hope. As someone who despairs at times over the state of our earth, it is healing to know that God has a plan of restoration for it, too.
I am also thankful for this voyage of service that you and Tom are about to embark on. I pray that it will be rewarding time for you both and that you will be a blessing to those there. Bon voyage!
I love a newsy post! Safe travels, Han. I am proud of you in all these strange (and some unexpected) phase of life and have no doubt they are being woven together, even now, for a bigger purpose.
Post a Comment