Monday, April 23, 2012

A chance encounter

We made it to Malawi on Saturday without incident, each learning a bit more about how the other handles the possibility of incident along the way. (I am the more relaxed.) It was 30 hours, two nights sitting upright, and two hours at the Victoria & Albert museum in London en route.

Last night, Sunday, we dropped by the hospital to see Tom's office. It was locked but one of the doctors, an American Jesuit, was Skyping his sister and came out to greet us. He explained Tom's program for a while, but as I was getting hungry, we invited him to dinner.

We ate at a nice Italian spot. I noticed the other patrons to some extent (I've always fancied myself a bit of a social Sherlock Holmes), a combination of white people, black people, Muslim people, Indian people, all possible residents of this commerce city, Blantyre. I noticed a black man about my age with a mustache speaking in a very American accent, and also the blonde woman at his table with her back to us.

As we left the restaurant, there was an SUV with an American flag. The license plate said CD, corps diplomatique.

The ambassador to Malawi is from Wyoming, and a woman with blonde hair. After some deliberation and mustering of nerve, we went back into the restaurant and I asked her if she was from Wyoming. She is. It was her, in town for the Malawian president's funeral today.  We made her acquaintance and had a nice little chat before heading on our way.

Not bad for our first night out.  

7 comments:

Leah said...

hans! you made it! and of course you sherlock holmes'ed it into a meetup with a wy native and diplomat. Did you do the haircut? If so, pictures are a must asap.

also, saw a note in the church bulletin about a couple org's in malawi that i will remember soon and send you... looked like HK worthy ventures.

xLM

Amanda said...

Yay, for a great post and safe travel! Ah, Wyomingites--we are everywhere being awesome!

Amanda said...

Forgot to say--Victoria and Albert, a great choice. Looking forward to going back there myself, some day.

Pam said...

Where's the "like" button on this fandangled website? I swear, this stuff ONLY happens to you, HK.

Dan K. said...

Way to be a detective, Hannah. You even had a grandma from Sheridan to complete the circle.
The ambassador has probably been snowed in in Chugwater if we knew the whole story.

Dan and Lynn said...

Just like your Mother... a networker of the first order. Like your father... a detective....Way to go!!! Glad you are safely there and getting settled!
Love you!
Mother

Karen Sue said...

Like Pam, I'm looking for the "like" button here. Welcome to Africa! All the garden pictures make me kinda homesick for it.