Maria & Erich - Austria
Mountaineering madness, they met climbing 35 years ago, raised climbing children, go seal-skin skiing all winter long. Maria hosts people to keep her entertained during her retirement, 41 last year.
Joelle - Switzerland
A divorced art/sex therapist who lived on a mountain with two cats and one dog. She began teaching herself English with a computer course one year ago, and we got along with her dictionary. While she worked 2-7 pm (the perfect hours!) and I went up hiking in a valley where, had I known what I was doing, could have seen the Matterhorn.
Laurent & Joelle - France
Lake, mountains, and civil servants. He kept a bountful garden and had international friends for pleasure. She was a marvelous cook and works on behalf of refugees with a defense league. During dinner last night, I made the sophomoric mistake of putting the fruit salad on my plate along with the savory salad and fish. They both gasped and were horrified. After their recovery, they graciously said I could eat it however I wanted (sweet at the end is correct, apparently), and I waited with them. While they worked, I bussed up to Semnoz, a Mont Blanc viewpoint. Ended up meeting and hanging out with a Dutch couple after they gave me a ride back down the mountain.





3 comments:
Hey, Hannah, So neat to see you and Eden together. So sorry we just missed each other! Spent the morning and afternoon with your family--so nice but we missed you. We loved the Alps and have many pics of cows! among other things. Be safe...Love, Meg
Wow--are you brave! Hope you are continuing to enjoy your journey--I am thinking of you lots.
Just saw your comment on my blog--yeah, I've stopped a bit. I almost wrote forty pages on my "retreat" with mom, and I finalized the big action. I just have about 50-60 pages to go and the first draft will be done. I'm starting to be sad that writing and hanging out isn't my career. I'd be interested to hear more about Laurent--I will always have fond memories of the time dad was chasing after the school bus and he was the only one who noticed and started yelling, "Clyde-a, Clyde-a, Clyde-a!" This gets retold a lot when our bus reunites.
Much love!
Post a Comment