Saturday, January 24, 2009

Things I take for pomegranated

Of course right now it's easy to think of things that are not a part of my life, that I miss from other places and times. A year ago I got to travel with my mother for her work to the Big Horns, the prettiest part of Wyoming, I could make s'mores with Charlie at 11:30 pm, and Dad was always a text message away. Two years ago, it was foul (beans) in the souk (market) in Sudan with Kari and Jason and hikes up Mt. Heiban. I could list a hundred things.

But I'm aware that someday in other places, I will dream of the $.20 naan made from water and flour and salt, baked inside a wood-fired clay oven, crisped to magnificence, spread with butter, jam, nutella, peanut butter, or Iranian feta.


Or the pomegranates. I had one the size of a softball the other night, $.60. They're so gorgeous, the little jeweled seeds.

3 comments:

Aftann Kisling said...

Yum!!! Are you going to put a candle on top in celebration of yourself on Wednesday? I'll be thinking of you. Happy birthday, my dear. xoxo

megarber said...

Yes, they are beautiful!

abby said...

Dear Hannah,
10 points and a gold star for this blog title.

Love,
Abby