I was warmly welcomed to the house where I’ll live, likely sharing the courtyard with another lady and definitely with a family with three kids age four and under. The oldest child understands enough to discern I read "Grover’s Pet Care Book" much better in English than its Deutsch equivalent. From their company, my funniest new word is “pee-pee machen” ≈ to go to the bathroom.
I felt my first earthquake.
One my teammates took me on a hike of ridges overlooking the city. Somewhere around the time of my birth, Soviet soldiers appropriated those ridges for bunkers, lookouts, and tanks. Gutted ruins remain. It is a tactically strong position for harassing a town with no means of air support.
The psychic benefits of being there were a general ability to relax. My training has emphasized over and over, “Security is not a feeling.” It didn’t feel different than Kabul, but I walked to the office by myself, and the explosion sounds were the building of a new road, not the detonating of people.
I am pleased to imagine moving there, and having Mick visit, ahem.

4 comments:
Wow! The mountains look beautiful. Seems pretty stark otherwise and it looks like you have stepped back in time. Hope you are ok with that. Sounds like very wonderful people to work with!
Oh wow, I want to move there with you!! Look out for jobs for me. :)
It is great to see a picture of you Hannah. We wish you a happy new year ! Weren't you the first of us to celebrate it from where you are ? landscapes are wonderful.
Take care,
Christelle & Laurent
Post a Comment