In the spring, I was given the opportunity to work for Chugwater Economic Development (CHED). The Wyoming Business Council funded me for what I like to call contract work and what they like to call an internship.
CHED gave me two projects: a feasibility study for licensed child care and a business plan for a retail co-op.
In light of my pending exploits, namely developing other people's communities, it was good to practice in my own.
One lesson, which my dad articulated from his experience as a county commissioner, and he said it came as a surprise: everyone is not for improvement and progress. Not everybody wants to clean up the junk pile. That faction is present in Chugwater, and arguably, they have gained momentum - or dementum? - in the past few years.
Yet there are those who persevere and hope. Some of the fine people have burned out or stepped away for a time. Youth seems to be worth a lot and we are few. I feel bad about being one person's worth of brain drain of rural America.
How different are Chugwater's scenarios from any I'll see in the next three years? Three will be leaders for positive change, leaders who make a bed no one wants to sleep in, others asking, "Who's in charge of that?" without imagining they could be, but ultimately faithfulness as the only way anything gets done.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My mom says you're starting orientation soon. Wish I could somehow visit you when you get here, but seems like you'll just be arriving, plus it would be a logistical hassle.
E
Sister,
You look like a goober tourist in your portrait on Mother's blog. Is that a camera around your neck?
I guess soon enough you will be an oh-'dat-tough-guy Sudanese developer.
I like your thoughts on your Chugwater project. Maybe we should make our way back to the west so that the young are not so few.
Love,
Abby
When I hear mom discuss issues at the schools around there, I sometimes ponder teaching there. Perhaps I am still in the west, not brain-draining. Interesting thoughts.
Post a Comment